- maptools (homepage, tutorial): Set of tools for manipulating and reading geographic data, in particular ESRI shapefiles
- R2leaflet (github, introductory post): given latitude, longitude and a few extra details, and produce an interactive online map.
- ggmap: R journal. Applications: Napa Valley wine tasting map, World map, Europe map, additional layer.
Websites, blogs, and articles
- spatial.ly: posts tagged with maptools
- Maps in R: introduction Drawing the map of Europe
- Display time series, spatial and space-time data with R
- India’s demographics with information from Wikipedia (code). The author first fetched and parsed data from HTML table by readHTMLTable(), then do various text cleaning. Finally, plot the result by googleVis, ggplot2, wordcloud, and corrplot packages.